Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pickled Sriracha Chard Stems

If you know my husband Ryan at all, you know that he's pretty obsessed with spicy foods. And I'm not talking just a hint-of-spice kind of obsessed, but rather the let-me-douse-my-entire-meal-with-crushed-red-peppers-until-my-nose-runs kind of obsessed. Needless to say, when the great Sriracha panic happened back in May, we stocked up on the hot sauce...just in case. Thankfully, the Sriracha panic subsided and the local factory never shut down production [phew!]. All that to say, if you like spicy foods and Sriracha, you will love these pickled chard stems!

We got 2 insanely huge bunches of red chard in our CSA* this month - the leaves were bigger than my head! After using a few leaves in our breakfast smoothies, then in some lentil soup, I started researching other recipes for chard. When I came across a recipe for Sriracha fridge pickles using chard stems, I knew I had stumbled upon gold.


They were super easy to whip up, too. I made them before heading to work in the morning they were that easy and quick. And that's saying something coming from a non-morning person.


If you feel like whipping some up yourself, all you have to do is cut up the card stems in 3-4 inch lengths and put them in a jar. Then...


...start mixing up your pickling liquid.


I cut the recipe in half and skipped the onion (only because I was trying to save time).


They were so fast to make. I even made it to work early!


And check out that gorgeous color!


I'm excited to use these in tacos and salads. I might even venture to use them with eggs and toast, or perhaps even just eat them straight from the jar.


Sriracha Pickled Chard Stems
slightly adapated from Bon Apetit

Chard stems from 2 bunches of red chard
1/2 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp celery seed
1.5-2 Tbl Sriracha hot sauce

Cut up your chard stems in 3-4 inch hunks and put into a mason jar. Heat your vinegar and sugar mixture slightly until sugar is dissolved. Add celery seed and Sriracha and mix. Pour over chard stems and put the lid on. Refrigerate for 2 days before eating. 

Enjoy!


* Use my code to get $10 off your first CSA box if you want to sign up for your own! KATH5242

No comments:

Post a Comment