Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dala Horse Soap: Tutorial


It's no secret that I'm a little obsessed with all things Scandinavian, including Dala horses. So when I received this Dala horse baking pan from IKEA that came with a mini Dala horse pan, I started brainstorming what I could make with it. I've always wanted to try my hand at soap making, and figured what would be cuter than little Dala horse soaps! I decided for a clementine-poppy-seed soap, the poppy seeds acting as a great way to exfoliate, and am quite happy with how they turned out.

Want to make your own? You will need:

Shea soap base, can be found at Michaels - (use a 40% off coupon  and it's only $6!)
Soap molds - I used my small Dala horse pans from IKEA, you could also use mini-muffin tins
Scents/add-ins - 1 tsp clemetine zest and 1 tsp poppy seeds
Coloring - optional (I didn't use)


Break off 6 cubes of the soap base, which is just enough to make 2 Dala horse soaps. Heat soap in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again in 10-second increments, stirring in between, until it is completely melted.
Stir in your scents/ingredients, and any coloring if desired.
Pour directly into your molds. Tap lightly on surface to release any air bubbles.


Allow to set for at least an hour before removing from molds. If your molds don't bend (like the Dala horse pans), you may need to pry one edge out for it to release completely. I used a toothpick and it barely left a mark.


Lather up and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Yes obsessed but what a wonderful obsession!!! LOVE your adorable Dala soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out amazing. I just started making homemade beauty products, I haven't tried soap yet so I was very intrigued by your post. I love how you used the mini dala.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have seen those cute little dala horse pans at IKEA and wondered how I would use them. This is a wonderful idea!! I love homemade soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so creative kathryn! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're doing this when I get back! Can we use lavender scent?

    ReplyDelete