Saturday, March 22, 2014

Swedish Almond Cake

I am not a cake person [the horror!]. Sure, I'll eat it, but it's definitely not my go-to dessert. In fact, unless it's carrot cake, cake is probably near the very bottom of my dessert list. But this cake, on the other hand, I find absolutely scrumptious.

[oops, I snuck a piece before I took the photo!]

I don't own a traditional Swedish almond cake pan, so I used a bundt pan instead. It seemed to work just fine. I baked it on the shorter side since it's not as thick as when it's baked in the traditional pan. This cake is dense and moist, and when sprinkled with powdered sugar it is sooo good. Next time, I'm going to drizzle some almond icing over the top. Yum.

Cake for breakfast, anyone?


Here's the recipe!
(via my sister's recipe card that came with her almond cake pan)

1 1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract (I use 2 tsp)
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 stick melted margarine

Mix first 4 ingredients. Stir in flour and baking powder, then add the melted margarine. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes (40 minutes was plenty of time when cooked in the bundt pan). Cool in pan before removing. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. EAT!

2 comments:

  1. I make several of these every Christmas and on my daughters birthday per her request. Such a fav tradition.. Sometimes I put toasted almonds in the bottom of pan before I pour the batter .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great cake! I like your idea of the toasted almonds in the bottom of the pan...will definitely have to try that next time. :)

      Delete