Sunday, April 28, 2013

Coasters to the max

With the Kingsburg Festival just around the corner, I've spent the majority of my weekend creating! It has been wonderful! I am really enjoying the creating process for this fair, more so compared to the prepping/creating for the Lucia fair. I think I'm not putting as much pressure on myself for this one and going into it with an attitude of, "Hey, if I don't sell it, I can keep it for myself!" 

My newest project has been tile coasters. They're a little tedious to make, but I think they're turning out pretty awesome (not to toot my own horn or anything...). I transferred different images onto kitchen tiles, coated them with polyurethane, and still have to add a layer of cork to the bottom. And voila! Neat little coaster sets. One of my favorite sets by far are the vintage maps of Scandianvia (shown below). And seeing as Ryan is quite a geography nerd, I will definitely be making us our own set after the craziness of the fair.


Other favorites include these whimsical designs I got from a modern Swedish cookbook I own.


And, these images from a vintage Swedish cookbook I scored at a second-hand store for 50 cents at a fair a couple years ago!!


I'm loving the crayfish.


I couldn't help but think while I was making all of these how handy they will come in for Fika Fridays!

All in all, it has been a very productive weekend. I am feeling great about the progress I've made and am now trying to brainstorm ideas for decorating the craft booth itself. We have to provide our own tables and such, so I am trying to figure out a good layout along with some cute decor. Any ideas welcome! 

I hope you had  a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. you are so creative Kathryn! and it seems like you're having so much fun (I would be, too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I love these crafts you are making for the fair. I so wish I could be there, it will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I bought a tile coaster at a holiday bazaar last fall and I use it every day! With your lovely patterns your tiles should sell really well. Hope you post pictures of your booth with all your creations on display!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do hope you will actually make a set of coasters for the two of you based on the old Scandinavia maps. Love that set especially!

    Course that crayfish is pretty cool too!!! Make a nice embroidery on a tea towel don't you think?

    Love that you are trying new crafts and techniques. Your enthusiasm is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete