Monday, December 17, 2012

Scandinavian Christmas: Day 5


We are already on Day 5 of Scandinavian Christmas! Today we get to hear from a very talented seamstress and crafter, Rachel, blogger of Nest Full of Eggs.  She also has some awesome sewing patterns on SewSet.  This is Rachel's third year participating in the Scandinavian Christmas series and I'm so glad to have her back this year to share this fun tutorial for this glogg tote! 


 Hello Pickled Herring readers! I'm Rachel and I blog at nest full of eggs. I'm American, but half of my ancestry is Swedish. I'm so happy to be here today.

'Tis the season to visit friends and family. Wine is a traditional hostess gift when attending a dinner party, so my thought was why not bring the hostess a more Scandinavian themed gift like Glogg? And how about sewing a Scandinavian themed tote gift bag to go along with it? The key here is to find fabric with a Scandinavian motif, I found this red and white star/snowflake fabric at IKEA. And then you will need to find yourself a wine tote gift bag sewing pattern, the one I used is from the Spring 2012 issue of Stitch magazine, but you can find many free wine bag sewing patterns on the internet.


In just a few hours of stitching you will have yourself a nice Glogg tote gift bag for gift giving this Christmas season.


 I ended up sewing the front and the back of the bag with different parts of the fabric so the front and back are different, but you can makes yours where the front and back are the same.


Cheers!


Merry Scandinavian Christmas!

Thanks so much Kathryn for having me!

Huge thanks again to Rachel for sharing this cute tote tutorial; I can't wait to try it out! And if you're looking for a good homemade glogg recipe, check out Ryan's post last year. Come back tomorrow to hear from Carin, who will share some adorable, homemade, Scandinavian ornaments!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for having me, I've been enjoying the series so far and look forward to the rest of the guest posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes my eyes happy! Love the fabric so much! Picked some up last year at Ikea for my table. And this is another beautiful - really beautiful way to use it! Very nicely done, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw, Rachel, I love the fabric. Lovely gift bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tote, I haven't seen that particular Ikea print before, it is lovely and makes a perfect hostess gift.

    (p.s. I have tried to like Glogg, but I haven't yet acquired the taste, maybe this year! :)

    ReplyDelete