Thursday, March 22, 2012

Jazzy almond butter

With Ryan being in school full-time, I often am left with an hour or two in the evening where he has to do homework or grade papers. So last night I whipped up some spiced almond butter, I added cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger and it is goooood.  

I started by roasting them in molasses and honey.  This made our apartment smell amazing.


Then threw them in my food processor and gave 'em a good grinding.


And slowly but surely they started to become buttery...


So close.


Ah. Delicious. 


I only made a half a jar because I wanted to see if we would like the added spices to the nut butter.  We definitely did and I will definitely be making this again!


Spiced Almond Butter
slightly adapted from Edible Perspective

1 cup raw almonds
1 Tbl honey
1/2 Tbl molasses

1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp molasses
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
dash of nutmeg
dash of ground ginger

Preheat your oven to 300.  Mix the honey, molasses, and almonds together on a baking sheet.  Coat thoroughly and lay almonds in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Roast for 30 minutes, stirring and checking every 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.

Put almonds into a food processor and begin to grind until a smooth butter is made.  This took my mini prep about 5 minutes, maybe even less (I wasn't watching the clock).  Once a smooth butter is formed, add an additional 1/2 tsp each honey and molasses, all spices, salt, and oil.  Process for another few minutes until it returns to a smooth, butter consistency.  Add additional oil if you like your nut butter very creamy.

Spread on muffins, toast, apples, fingers, or anything you want!

1 comment: