Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A knit bench

First things first, I apologize for the low-quality photos. Wouldn't you know it that as soon as we got on the train headed for Tokyo I realized I forgot my camera. Oops. Luckily nowadays we always have the backup cellphone camera.

I took these about a month ago but forgot to upload my cellphone pictures until now. Ryan and I had taken a little trip to Ebisu (near Tokyo) to visit the Yebisu Brewery Museum. Since we went before Christmas there were still lots of decorations up and a big Christmas tree in the square. Surrounding the Christmas tree were about 5 of these "knit" benches. I thought they were pretty awesome so I took some photos.



Some sections were knitted and other parts crocheted. Then they were tied onto the benches, or in some cases knit around them.


I don't know why they were like this, but it appeared to be some sort of group project. There was a sign that I assume explained the whole deal but, unfortunately, I can't read Japanese. Your guess is as good as mine.

3 comments:

  1. How strange. A knitted bench. What are they doing in Japan that requires a knitted bench?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope someone out there knows the answer as to why these benches were covered with needle work and will share.

    What happens when it rains I wonder.

    Interesting - and I appreciate you sharing you pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea - but am also wondering how the knitting fares in the rain. A real patchwork cushion.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog.
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete