Saturday, September 11, 2010

Goma Yaki (chicken with sesame seeds)

I received this handy, old-school, Japanese cookbook from a family friend before I came over to Japan. She had lived here in the 70's (I think...) and this cookbook came out in 1971. I love it.


This is a super-quick stovetop meal. I do all my cooking on the stovetop because I have no oven. Needless to say I can't wait until I have an oven again (casserole, anyone?).

Anyway, tonight I'm going to make 'goma yaki', which is chicken with sesame seeds. See below:


Looks pretty tasty, no? If you want to give it a whirl yourself, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 4-6 chicken tenders (the recipe calls for chicken wings, but I used tenders and they worked great)
  • 2 Tbl sake
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 Tbl oil
  • 1 t sesame seeds
  • lettuce leaves, ginger, or celery

Make a few cuts into the chicken and sprinkle with sake and salt; set aside. Heat oil in pan; brown meat on both sides and remove from pan. Heat sesame seeds in a pan and sprinkle on top of the chicken. Garnish with fresh baby ginger or celery.

The recipe says you can use beef or pork instead of chicken, I'm sure either of those would be delish too!

No comments:

Post a Comment